Breakfast Club Networking
Our guest speakers this week is Rev Martin Miller and Bishop Bill Musk who are coming to talk about the 900th anniversary of St Michael’s Church in Newhaven.
St Michaels has a long history dating back to 1120.
The ancient name of the town was Meeching, which was changed when the mouth of the river Ouse shifted to form the port now known as Newhaven.
The small semi-circle Apse is not very common in Briton, though there are many examples in Normandy, France. What is exceptional in the church is the arrangement of chancel, tower & nave. On the outside the nave was the same width as the tower. But, on the inside, due to the thickness of the tower walls, two compartments were formed.Together with the Apse this forms the ONLY existing example in Briton.
The original Nave remained until 1795 when the north wall was demolished & the north aisle was added. In 1810 the Nave & Aisle were extended westward. In 1825 the Vestry north of the tower was built & galleries were erected to seat more people.The final enlargement was in 1854 when the south aisle was added & the east porch.
In 1961 a lot of work was carried out to protect the building from death watch beetle & woodworm. Other improvements were carried out and the church was reopened in 1962.
The small window with a deep splay behind the Alter is one of the three originaly lighting the chancel. The present two side windows are of a later date. One of the two windows in the tower arches is the original, the one on the north side.The tower contains an old bell dated 1737, and ten bells forming the carillon which was installed in 1928.
A piece of stone from the tower was sent to New Haven in conneticut U.S.A. At the time the episcopal church of St Thomas was being built in that city and the piece of stone was let into the wall behind the high Alter.
The organ was built by Bates in 1860, and was totally completed in 1962 and restored in 1988.
The Parish church of Newhaven, as is common in the case of a church built on a hill. is under the patronage of St Michael. The earliest recorded vicar is Robert in 1253. From the first the living was in the hands of the priory of St Pancras in Lewes, later passing to the crown, and then to the Rev. Southwood who was rector from 1856-1899. At his death the Church patronage society aquired the living.
The church yard has two memorials one to Thomas Tipper a local brewer, which is opposite the west door, and the other a memorial to 75 seamen who lost their lives when the HMS Brazen was wrecked in 1800.
The early registers, dating from 1553 are well preserved and are now in the care of the county Archivist in Lewes.
In 2020 we will be celebrating our 900th Anniversary.
Guests and visitors can come and network with our regular Chamber members, you’ll be made very welcome!
- to promote members businesses through regular networking meetings
- to generate business referrals for member businesses
- to learn about other member businesses
- to develop relationships with members to build goodwill and trust
- to increase awareness and membership of the Chamber
When and where
Every Wednesday 7.00am – 8.30am
Woody’s Bar & Grill / Peacehaven Golf Club
Telephone: 01273 515566
What is involved?
The members arrive at around 7am, meet for a chat and have tea or coffee, at 7:30am when everyone is seated and breakfast is served. Everyone is given the opportunity to give a 60 second presentation to the group about their business. Each week one chamber member is given the opportunity to give a fuller 10 minute presentation if they wish.
Breakfast club members pay £41.17 per month (equivalent to £9.50 per breakfast) by standing order.